C7 Data Centers Overview – Who is C7?
C7 Data Centers (C7) is a regional data center provider offering low-cost, high-density colocation data center solutions. Founded in 1999, C7 specializes on providing a variety of world-class data center solutions and services.
C7’s colocation solutions provide high-density hosting for heat intensive IT infrastructures. Featuring a proprietary cold-aisle containment system, C7’s high-density cabinet environments will only experience a 5 degree temperature differential from bottom to top of the cabinet, preserving equipment life. One current customer of theirs averages 26kW of power usage in a single cabinet, which the cold-aisle cooling system handles in stride.
General Company Statistics
- 4 Data Center Facilities
- 74,000 sq. ft. data center floor space
- Multiple 10G ports to tier 1 providers
- Disaster safe Utah geography – lowest Presidential disaster rate in the nation
- 300+ colocation customers
Unique for a data center, C7 Data Centers conducted a research project with the Brigham Young University Acoustics Research Group to pursue the possibility of applying Active Noise Control to reduce the ambient noise on the data center floor. Results showed that there were too many noise sources to effectively create a reduced noise zone, but within a cold-aisle, where noise sources are reduced they predicted a noticeable 4 decibel noise cancellation.
The Tough Questions
From the C7 website, it shows that they have large customers such as Twitter, Motorola, Answers.com, etc. Why then do they only have four data center facilities, and all in the state of Utah?
ViaWest purchased the more competitive data center providers in Utah in 2010. So will C7 as a regional provider be able to compete with a national provider like ViaWest?
What plans does C7 have for the future of their VMware cloud solution?
C7 Data Centers Locations:
Latest posts on C7 Data Centers
- C7 Data Centers Update 10/3/2012 C7 Data Centers just announced an injection of $25 Million from MCG Capital for capital expenditures. Currently C7 owns and operates 3 data centers in Utah, totaling some 85,000 sq. ft. of data center floor space, and needed the additional capital for building additional data center space. “We’re growing faster than we can build facilities, ...
- Customer Win: C7 Signs Multi-year Colocation Agreement With LLUMC SALT LAKE CITY, UT – January 24, 2012 – C7 Data Centers (C7) today announced it has been selected to provide data center services to Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC). This multi-year service contract was awarded following an extensive national evaluation and selection process provided by DataCenterAndColocation, a colocation consulting company, involving multiple data ...
- Cloud Computing: Could your Cloud Dissipate? By: Nathan Hatch—Executive Chairman, C7 Data Centers, Inc. Cloud formations come in different varieties—nimbus, cumulus, and cirrus, to name a few. These clouds are wondrous in their formation and sometimes inexplicable in their detail. Cloud Computing, by its description, may seem just as amazing and mysterious. But it is in knowing just what you are getting ...
- Three reasons why eBay’s Topaz data center costs 50% less to operate A 50% decrease in data center costs is incredible. So let’s look at three reasons why eBay’s costs for the Topaz facility are so low, and hopefully uncover why Utah provides data centers a distinctive advantage.